Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Daily Grind

I know I haven't posted lately, and admittedly, part of that is my slacking off!  However, not too much has been going on here that is blogworthy.  Not to imply that nothings been going on, in fact, we've been quite busy here.  It's just, you know, the normal daily grind.  I have been trying to prepare the yearlings for the summer longe line futurities and this is taking up most of my time.  This includes Durango, who I've now dubbed D'man.. because he is, you know, da man!  He is actually the most progressed of all the babies, although whether that's because he's so smart, or just the most spoiled is up for debate.  Although, even though he is the closest to be ready to show, he's the only baby who is stubbornly hanging onto the last of his baby fuzz!  His chest, bottom of his neck, legs and lower half are all slick, and the top half is still fuzzy. I'm wearing my arms out trying to curry it all off!  I'm shooting for the Tom Powers Futurity with him, for the HUS and color longe line.  He will probably be the only huntseat type in the color longe line, and the only App in the hunter longe line!  He'll get noticed, whether good or bad... hopefully good!

I also have some exciting and rather different news to share, that involves D'man and his sire, Chance.  To encourage promotion and marketing to outside venues other than stock breed only, I have officially signed up Chance and Durango to be American Warmblood Society inspected, registered and hopefully approved!  If they are approved, they will be registered AWS, and all of their foals will be eligible AWS.  It's time for the open hunter, dressage, and sporthorse world to see the quality our stock breed hunter types have became.  If we can expose them to those venues, and increase popularity, we will have a whole new venue for marketing, breeding, and showing our hunter type stock breed horses.  Durango in particular, since he has the bonus of a striking color, while still being a quality hunter type, will hopefully create a splash in the sporthorse industry.

So, inspection is now in less than two weeks!  We have to get the boys trotting huge on a triangle in hand.  Apparently, Durango will do a liberty portion for yearlings.  This will be an interesting and hopefully fun, new experience.  I hope to get some awesome photos of the boys all dressed up in their official sporthorse attire.  Wish us luck that they pass and hopefully with high scores!

Oh yeah, and I decided to make the leap to take Durango to the Appaloosa Nationals in July.  I have been off and on about it, since they have no longe line in that particular show, so essentially I will be traveling to Oklahoma for one class, hunter in hand.  The deciding factor was finding people in Florida that will already be attending the show, that will have a spot open to go ahead and take Durango out with them.  It'd also be fantastic practice for him, in preparation for the fall World Show where he will be showing in both longe line and hunter in hand.  I think hunter in hand should be the class I should focus on with him the most this year.  He has the look, there is no denying that he is beautiful, stands out, and is very classic.  He has his daddy's trot, and of course his amazing mind should hopefully make the class a breeze... knock on wood!  I sure can't wait to ride this guy next year.  Enough of the in hand stuff, I'm ready to ride! :-)

In other, non-Durango news... we had a beautiful, BUCKSKIN FINALLY, colt by Chance a couple weeks ago out of our phenomenal moving 16h Dynamic In The Dark daughter.  His name is Chance Worth Taking, aka Major.  I watched this colt lope off from a standstill today, and holy cow, I might be making a blog about another one soon!  Just stellar.  Then, two days ago, we had my second ever App born... and this one came out the way I had expected Durango to come out... spotless!  It's a very dark baby boy, but he does have white sclera and App characteristics, so I'm pretty sure he will color out.  He's a huge sweety, and will probably be offered for sale.  I will know for sure once... DURANGO'S FULL SIBLING IS BORN!  WAHOO!  Only a few weeks and D'man Jr will arrive!  I want to always have an App baby to show, and of course I'm biased to keep the Durango sibling... for obvious reasons.

So.. that's all the updates I have for now.  Stay tuned for inspection results and babies!

Stealing Mom's water!

No comments:

Post a Comment